Friday, April 01, 2011

Leftover Magic

I'm learning to use leftovers, which is something I'm starting to have now that I'm cooking again.

Thanks to the Food Nanny, Leslie's aunt, I've put more emphasis on planning, preparing, and cooking healthy food for my family.

And now we have leftovers!

So here are some of the meals we're having and how I'm using the leftovers (in addition to sending them with Mark for lunch). Note- this menu isn't complete because we'll have salad almost every night or add hummus and pita bread if the meal seems sparse, but you get the general picture. Also, I'm planning and shopping for 2 weeks at a time, which makes things a lot more manageable.

M- Pinto Beans and cornbread
T- Taco Salad (use some pinto beans and a can of chili)
W- Grilled veggies and pineapple
Th- Veggie Quesadillas (use some pinto beans and slice up leftover grilled veggies)
F- Pizza (use sliced grilled veggies, add feta)
S- Baked Potato Bar (wrap potatoes in foil and cook in the crockpot for 4 hrs on high. On the back porch if it's too hot inside)
S- Breakfast for Dinner- Eggs and Hash Browns (grate leftover baked potatoes and cook in coconut oil)

M-Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches (leftover grilled pineapple)
T- Spaghetti and Meatballs
W- Stir Fry with brown rice
Th- Enchiladas
F- Soup (if it's not too hot)
S- Tilapia and Lemon Rice
S- Chicken Bryan and Garlic Mashed Potatoes

These are just a few ideas. Do you have ideas for easy healthy meals and how to use leftovers?

2 comments:

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

Wow! I am glad that you are cooking again. That is one of the things I remember about our BYU days was your yummy cooking! Thanks for the tips and suggestions!

Jessica Steed said...

Maddy,
How funny that you remember that.
I remember your notecards on the fridge. I did that a few months ago because I thought you were so organized!

Way go to being my cooking example!