Tuesday, December 01, 2009

November Laughs

November just FLEW by, so I don't have a lot of document hilarities, although I know there were more than I wrote down.

Post Halloween amusement:
"Canny!" was the first, middle, and last word out of Finn's mouth all month long. We still have two pieces of Halloween candy and my kids know it. Every time it was too quiet, I knew they had found a way to get into the candy and were shoving in their faces (wrappers and all) before I found them.

11/12 As we drive by a cemetery in Michigan, Jaxon comments , "Cemeteries are where they plant dead people."

11/15 When his 4 year old cousin was throwing a fit about the music in the car Jaxon chastises her, "Taiva, the earth is for everybody, not just you."

11/18 After we got settled on our flight home from Michigan Jaxon recites a poem to me,
"We saw great sights, we made great friends. Now we're heading home to our journey's end."
Then he says, "Say it with me, Mom."

Throughout the month Asher continues to shed his clothes whenever we're home. When we come back from the gym, store, church, etc. I turn around and he's standing in his underwear. I help him get dressed ALL. DAY. LONG.

Asher has also begun a little ritual of creating a nest on my bed. He piles and fluffs our down comforter into a little circle and sits in the middle. When I ask him what he's doing he smiles and says, "This my nest!" Then he asks me to snuggle with him.

In the last few days Asher (nearly 4) has taken on the task of disciplining two year old Finn (I'm just glad somebody is). So when Finn hits him, Asher says, "Time Out!" and tries to pick him up and haul him over to the chair. Today the chair was misplaced, so when Asher tried this he looked very confused then gave up and said, "No chair."

Finn is mostly funny because he confuses Mommy and Daddy all day long. He doesn't seem to really care which one he uses, and since he's two I assume he really does understand who's who. Right now, as I type, Finn is hollering, "Daddy" when he knows I'm the only parent home. Sheesh.

Speaking of who's who, Jaxon decided recently that Dad is the boss because Dad is taller and bigger than Mommy. Said Jaxon, "When you stand next to Daddy, you can rest your head on his shoulder. That means he's in charge."
Only after some negotiations was I able to convince Mark to encourage Jaxon to see Mom and Dad as a team.

11-19 I'm trying to determine which shoes fit Jaxon so I can get him out the door to school. He is apparently impatient with me and apparently distracted by his cousin as he shouts, "It doesn't matter [how the shoes fit]. All I care about is Ella because she's so beautiful!"

11-22 Jaxon tells Mark, "You know why I have trouble saying words? Because my head is shaped like a cone!" (He is half right. He had a cone-shaped head as a baby and remembers that story well).

11-29 The whole family is snuggling/wrestling in our bed and I rest my head on Jaxon's knobby little shoulder.
Me: "Jaxon, your shoulder feels like a pool ball."
Jaxon: (huge smile) "Wow! Thanks, Mom!"

(added) 11-30 We're setting up the Christmas tree and Asher keeps using everything as a pretend phone. In his baby voice he's talking fast and repeating the same phrases. After a few times we can just make out this dialogue: "Hello? I just walked in the door. Look out your window." and some other garbled things. It sounds like a movie quote so I ask Jaxon if he can figure out what Asher is saying. Jaxon looks at me bored and says, "It's from Curious George, Mom." Whoa. Jaxon, are you the library of movie quotes, or what?

12-1 Jaxon comes home complaining that he got hurt when a kid kicked him at school.

"Mom, I've got a huge owie on my BLADE."

What?
Yep, his shoulder blade.

The funniest scene in November is our family traveling to Michigan for 11 days with only CARRY ON LUGGAGE (we were too cheap to pay $35 a bag when the flight was only $39 each way!)


We packed 5 carry-on suitcases and had 4 other bags/backpacks/purses. We also had a car seat, stroller, and three small children. I wish someone had videotaped it because we would be a hit on YouTube.

As we were deplaning in Mesa, I had a problem of having suitcases ahead of where I needed to be (to get more suitcases) and people right behind me. So, I sent Jaxon ahead.

He was carrying his backpack with my purse stuffed inside. He was pulling not one, but two full size carry-on suitcases strapped together. They kept bumping into the seats so he went very slow, and he had to go down a really steep external ramp (the kind that lands you on the tarmac). Through what must have been divine intervention, Jaxon does this all by himself until the very last few feet when a man helps him pull the suitcases.

And that is why I'm glad that as children grow up they become more useful!

2 comments:

brandonm said...

Oh, we miss you guys!

Great stories as always! And George used to do the same thing, calling us Mom and Dad interchangeably. Good to know that's normal!

Chelle said...

Hahaha. These are funny.