Friday, February 19, 2010

The Moment I Was Dreading

I knew this day would come, but I didn't know how well I would handle it. I did pretty well, I think, but you can judge for yourself.

I've been learning how to infuse Jaxon peripherally (through his hand and arm veins) over the last few weeks. It's pretty tricky, but Jaxon has been amazing, not complaining and even being exciting about practicing on fake plastic veins. (He wants to practice on me, too. I haven't let him yet, but maybe I should)

So today, Jaxon looks down at his arm in the tourniquet and is probably just beginning to understand that he has to do this three times a week for the rest of his life.

He looks up at me and says, "Mom, I wish I didn't have hemophilia."

In my heart, I cried. I know, Honey, so do I. In this moment, Jaxon articulated what I have been feeling for seven and a half years. Up until now, he's hardly been aware of his bleeding disorder or it's impact on his life. He's a very healthy boy and hemophilia only affects his life 5% of the time. But, here we are in the 5% and it's still something that holds him back, that makes him feel different, that could potentially kill him. I knew there would be a time when he said this to me, but it still broke my heart.

So in my most cheerful voice I said, "Yep. But you have it. That's how things are. I wish I didn't have these dark circles under my eyes. That's why I wear make-up. You have hemophilia and you get this medicine to fix it."

Okay, so it sounds pretty lame now that I've written it out. But, I don't want him to think it's okay to feel sorry for himself.

I can do that well enough for the both of us.




9 comments:

Thayer said...

I think it's a great reaction, Jess, but you must be a makeup artist 'cause I don't see any dark circles in the pictures you post (or do you just choose the good ones?). Jaxon's lucky to have such a knowledgeable and brave mom by his side to handle what comes his way.

Unknown said...

You are a terrific mom. Period.

Rachel said...

So not lame! Very sweet.

EmilyCC said...

How smart of you to have your answer prepared! I'm sorry that you and Jaxon (and Asher) have to deal with this.

Liz and the girls said...

I am sorry you have to do that and that your wonderful little boys have to live with it. It is good to have answers ready for when they ask. Keep up the good work.

Four Winns said...

I hate it when people tell me over the internet that I'm a good mom. How the heck do you know?? But I totally think you're a good mom. Your blogs make me smile.

Jessica Steed said...

Thayer,
I promise the dark circles are there, but maybe I don't choose close ups for a reason :)

Leslie,
Thanks for stopping by.

Rachel,
It's fun to see you on my blog. I didn't know you read it.

Emily,
I didn't have anything prepared, except that I wasn't going to burst into tears and make a big deal of his comment. My friend's son asked her the same question and she said, "Well, I wanted to be a supermodel, but I'm not tall and thin, so my genetics pushed me out for that one."

Liz,
You and I both know that you just deal with what life gives you, regardless of what it is. It was good to see you last night. Let's get together more often.

Annie,
LOL. It's so true. When I think about all my bad mom moments, it's hard to remember my good mom moments. Still, we are all just doing our best, aren't we?

Thanks for all of your comments.

Hill Family said...

this just breaks my heart! I think you both handle it like champs!

Stella said...

I think you are simply amazing. I've retold this story a few times this week. You're so strong! Sending you lots of love!