Thursday, February 12, 2009

Asher to the Rescue

I wore myself out today at Costco, pushing my kids and all of our food in a heavy cart. My medication had me light-headed and weak, and my stomach felt unsettled. The lines were long and I was grumpy.

As I got back to the car and unloaded the kids and food, I buckled Finn into his seat, then went around to get Asher buckled. But, like always, Asher was wandering around in the car even after I'd asked him several times to get in his chair. In desperation I asked irritatedly, "Do you want a spanking?"

"No, no spanking." Asher replied and climbed into his chair.

Then as I buckled his top clip, he gently pulled my head into his chest in a soft but firm embrace.
And he held me in the hug for a minute or two (an eternity for a three year old).
It was so sweet that I melted.

As I let him hug me, my irritation and negativity just washed away and
I felt whole.

I really think love is a good cure for grumpiness.

Somehow I haven't learned that in 29 years, but Asher's had it figured out since the day he was born.


Here's Asher showering his love on the Glowbug.

6 comments:

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

That is really sweet! Love is a good cure for so many things!

Unknown said...

I hope I get a son just like Asher, I could use one of him in my life.

Alisa said...

Oh wow. Such a sweet video.

Costco is so tiring. I hope you recover well!

Jessica Steed said...

It turns out we have the flu over here.
Our friends (another family with three boys) are staying with us this weekend and 4 of us (2 from each family) were sick last night.

Yuck.

It's been a crazy week.

Jenga said...

I think my kids ROCK (DISCLAIMER: Only when they're not puking or otherwise defecating on the carpet)!

Nate said...

Our Asher did something similar with me last night. He said "dad Hugs!" And while we were hugging he thought it would be funny to grab my glasses, throw them across the room, and then lick my nose.

No more love for that one.