Monday, February 02, 2009

Embarrassing Personal Confession #3

I am easily persuaded by reverse psychology.

Today at the gym we had a sub teacher. She's like a chinchilla on crack. Or the Energizer Bunny in fast forward.
The woman never takes a break, a breather, or a drink of water. For an hour.
It was kick-boxing, then jogging, then squats with bicep curls, then plyometrics, etc. You get the picture.
And everytime I felt myself slowing down or giving up, she would yell like a drill sergeant, "Push yourself! Get out of your comfort zone!"

And I wanted to yell back, "NO! THIS IS TOO HARD! I DON'T LIKE IT WHEN YOU PUSH ME!"

Her hour-long class seems to last for three hours.

Contrast this with the regular teacher (a young grandmother) who gives high-impact alternatives and chats happily during her workout. She encourages and I work extra hard in her class because I want to show her I can work harder. I can do more than the minimum. She doesn't push, she encourages us to listen to our bodies, and I enjoy working out in her class. The time flies by.

Lesson learned: I'm not that much different than my kids. I hate to be pushed, I like a challenge when it's presented in a considerate way.

Application: My children don't need a drill sergeant, they need a cheerleader.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

What a picture! Wow. And I totally agree with the whole cheerleader thing. I'm too much of a drill sargeant I fear.

Jessica Steed said...

Well, I figure the post wasn't all that embarrassing, so the picture ought to be :)

EmilyCC said...

I love my grandmotherly gym teacher too (sometimes I wonder if she would come with me to the hospital to have my babies because she's a waay better cheerleader than Nate).

And, what's plyometrics?

Jessica Steed said...

It's doing lunges with weights while jumping.
like fast forward lunges: terrible on your joints, so I refused to do them, which irritated her a little.

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

What great advice! I love your picture!