Thursday, August 27, 2009

Pardon my rant. . .

Asher's preschool teacher just called to ask if Asher is a boy or girl.

Really?

Now granted, she has never met him, but what kind of person thinks Asher is a girl name?

It's a tribe of Israel for heaven's sake.

Are you going to ask if Levi, Judah, or Benjamin are girl names?

Now, Finley I can understand. According to Baby Name Voyager, Finley is currently ranked higher for girls than for boys (although quite obscure for both, ranking 665 and 818 respectively). But, we call him Finn, or Finners, or Finny (although that's not very masculine, is it?).

But, Asher? It's just a boy name.

That's it.

Of course, why do I care? There's nothing wrong with girl names because there's nothing wrong with girls.
Yes, the feminist in me collides with the part of me who thinks people are stupid for not knowing that Asher is a boy name.

6 comments:

Hill Family said...

a justified rant, people sometimes wonder is Adlen is boy...have have no idea why, and sometimes they call her Alden...c'mon people read!

Kate said...

I suppose I would feel the same way... but I think with SO many different names out there, and more and more people using "traditional" boyish names for girls... I think you should give her a little credit for at least checking! Don't hold it against her. :) She really is a wonderful preschool teacher!

Four Winns said...

I feel your pain at times when I have a kids dressed in pink with piggy tails in and an old lady asks me if she is a girl. Really?

Jessica Steed said...

Good points, all of you.

Alden does sound like a boys name. Perhaps dyslexia is more common in the general population than I know.

Kate I'm not holding it against her. I'm glad she checked and I expect she'll be a wonderful teacher.

Dressed in pink and wondering if she's a girl? That's crazy.

Leslie said...

You've been trapped in the house for days with sick kids. A rant is justified no matter the topic.

Liz and the girls said...

I feel your pain. Everyone always asks me if Aubrie is a boy. We went to have pictures one time and the photographer set everything up for a boy. I guess back in the early 1900's "Aubrey" was a boys name.