Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Singing of Her

Tonight Finn wanted me to sing "Boo Sky."

I remembered that Mark sings "My Heavenly Father Loves Me" to Finn when he puts him to bed. Since Mark is out of town, I sang it to him instead.

So I started singing "Whenever I hear the song of a bird, or look at the blue, blue sky", but I felt impressed to substitute Heavenly Mother for Heavenly Father. The result was really powerful. We speak of Mother Earth and the powerful force for creation that women represent, but as I sang to Finn I got teary and thought of all the wonderful women in my life, who have profoundly influenced me for the better.

Here are the lyrics as I sang them to Finn tonight.

Whenever I hear the song of a bird, or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel the rain on my face or the wind as it rushes by,
Whenever I touch the velvet rose or walk by the lilac tree,
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world, Heavenly Mother created for me.

She gave me my eyes that I might see the color of butterfly wings.
She gave me my ears that I might hear the magical sound of things.
She gave me my mind, my life, my heart, I thank her reverently
For all her creations of which I'm a part.
Yes, I know Heavenly Mother loves me.

3 comments:

EmilyCC said...

What a wonderful idea! Love it, love it, love it!

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

Love the Boo Sky. Nick started singing that to Jaren. One night I put Jaren to bed and he asked to sing the Boo, Boo Sky song. I had no idea what he was talking about. Later Nick updated me! Kids are so cute!

Jessica Steed said...

Emily,
Thanks!

Maddy,
I know, it cracks me up when they have a funny name for something and you can't figure out what it is.