Monday, April 28, 2008

Double Whammy

Saturday, the morning of the Salsa Challenge I had a sore throat. After talking all day to volunteers and the public at admissions, my throat really hurt. Sunday morning I woke up with laryngitis. (see post here)
My sweet sister, Tacy, picked Jaxon up from school and took him and Finley back to my mom's for a few hours, so I could get some rest. Then Mark picked up the boys on his way home from work at 4 PM. When Jaxon walked in the house holding an untouched sucker (his favorite candy), I knew something was wrong. He grabbed a 'throw-up bowl' and laid on the couch and promptly went to sleep. Mark said he had been shivering and trying to sleep on the way home. After a great deal of searching I found a thermometer that works and took his temperature under his arm. He didn't even move. 102.9. Uh-oh. He was really sick. And he had been fine at lunch. Weird. Because of his hemophilia treatment, Jaxon has a port-a-cath which is a central line to his heart. With this foreign device in his body, there is always a risk of infection, although we have avoided it for nearly 5 years (knock on wood).
The rule is that if either kid (both Jaxon and Asher have ports) gets a fever above 101.5 we have to take them to the ER in Phoenix as a precaution. So, we call our hemotologist nurse and she says to bring him right in. As we hang up with her, Jaxon sits up and vomits into his bowl. So, now we think he's got the flu (How am I supposed to battle that while I'm fighting this cold? Geez) but the nurse says to bring him in anyway.
Mark takes him and I stay with the little ones. I get a text message that his temp is 103. That's really high for Jaxon, the highest he's ever had. My family usually has ultra-low temps. Anyway, they take some blood samples and decide that he can go home, but they want to wait for a while to see if his temperature drops with Tylenol. Well, it doesn't. Jaxon wakes up to pee and is incoherent, can't answer questions and is just really out of it. So, they tell Mark he's going to have to stay the night. Yeah, so that's no fun. I really hope he's doing okay. It's always so sad to see my kids sick.
Anyway, keep us in your prayers.

4 comments:

Alisa said...

I'm so sorry, Jessica. Feel better soon, both you and Jaxon.

Kate said...

I'll call you in the morning. Sheesh! How scary! I hope everyone is better soon.
And man, 103 is nothing in this house. It's very normal for one of us (me & Tyson in particular) to run a very high fever even with a cold.

Deborah said...

Bleck -- hope your family is in the mend.

Jessica Steed said...

thanks everyone! Jaxon is perking up and I do fine if I take my medicine (Advil Sinus)
While googling home cough remedies, I found that dark chocolate has theobromine, which can help control coughs. Not a bad medicine! It seems to work pretty well for me.