Sunday, April 13, 2008

Easy Yummy Recipes

I'd like to post a few of my favorite easy recipes in hopes that some of you will share yours!
I also use mealsmatter.org for menu ideas, meal planning, and shopping list.

1. Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches
Teriyaki marinated grilled chicken breasts, a slice of your favorite cheese, red onion, fresh spinach, and tomato with mayo on a toasted whole wheat bun. I copied this from Rumbi Grill. (The one in the picture is from Hardee's).



2. Swiss Steak
I made this one tonight. Super easy and my kids love it! (that's saying something)

2 lb Round or Chuck Steak
2 cans Tomato Soup

Cook in Crockpot for 4 hr on high (in the summer I plug my crockpot in on my back porch)

Serve with mashed potatoes and use the tomato sauce in crockpot as gravy.


3. Chicken Bryan (copycat from Carrabba's)

Chicken Breasts (one per person)
Sun-Dried Tomato P
esto
Goat Cheese

Coat chicken with olive
oil and grill (I use chicken breasts/tenders frozen individually in a bag, and I cook them from frozen). I use a Foreman grill, but any kind will work.
Warm Sundried tomato pesto. Spread room temp goat cheese on grilled chicken, then top with pesto.
Carrabba's serves theirs with Garlic Mashed potatoes, or pasta. Yummy.

4. Multi-Purpose Shredded Beef/Pork
Got this recipe from a great caterer.

Any size, type roast
2-4 T Montreal Steak Seasoning
NO LIQUID

Cook in crockpot for a long time. Low 10 hrs, High 5-7 hrs. It is done when you put a fork in and twist and the meat falls apart.
Take it out and shred it with a fork. (I should be super easy to shred, if it's not, it's not done)
Stir it in a bowl and it should break apart even more.

Then you can do lots
of things: add BBQ sauce (I like Bill Johnson's) for BBQ beef sandwiches, or add green chile sauce (the best is from Trader Joes) for burritos/enchiladas/taquitos. I'm sure there are more, but this is all I've tried. You can freeze the extra and it goes a long way.




7 comments:

Alisa said...

Excellent post! I still remember the sun-dried goat cheese chicken you served to me and Kevin when we lived in Provo. Delicious!

Moss Family said...

This made my mouth water reading all the yummy recipes... guess I better go eat lunch! :)

EmilyCC said...

Ooh, these do sound tasty! I'm also partial to that 1 can of black beans, 1 jar of salsa, 1 can of corn and 4 chicken breasts in the crock pot for 4-6 hours on high. (I think Nate is getting a little sick of it because it's so easy and I make it all the time!)

Jessica Steed said...

Thanks Emily, but you're supposed to post YOUR recipes, not mine!
(we call it Gorditas, and I'm totally burned out on them, too)

Alisa,
I had forgotten that I made that dish for you. (I think that was back when I still made the entire recipe instead of opting for the pre-made pesto)

Holly,
I'm glad you like them, feel free to share your own!

Four Winns said...

Broccoli Bacon Quiche

For 2 servings you will need:

4 slices bacon (I use the pre-cooked microwave kind)
4 eggs
1 cup half-and-half
1 cup grated Swiss cheese
2 cups broccoli flowerets (you can use fresh or defrosted freezer kind)
¼ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. lemon pepper

Preheat oven 350 degrees. Cook bacon until crisp set aside. Beat eggs with cream and cheese. Stir in broccoli, salt, garlic powder and lemon pepper. Crumble bacon Stir ½ of crumbled bacon into egg mixture. If you really like bacon put all of the bacon in the egg mixture and cook some more to put on top of the quiche after it is cooked. Pour mixture into a 9-inch pie plate. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until a knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean. Top with remaining bacon and tomato

Four Winns said...

Peach French Toast
Cooking spray (VERY important if you don’t want to scrape your pans for a week!)
1 large whole-wheat baguette (about 8 ounces)
4 whole eggs
4 egg whites
1 cup low fat milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups sliced peaches, fresh or frozen
1/2 lemon, juiced about 1 1/2 tablespoons
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Spray a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Slice the baguette into 1/2-inch slices and arrange the slices in a single layer in the baking pan. Whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk and vanilla. Pour the egg mixture over the bread in the pan. In a medium bowl, toss peaches with the lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar. Scatter the peach slices evenly on top of the bread. Combine the remaining brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Uncover and bake for 40 minutes.
Serving suggestion: Top with a dollop of vanilla yogurt, a drizzle of maple syrup and a side of Canadian bacon.

Chelle said...

Hey, I've been wanting recipes! Because at 30, I still struggle cooking for myself. Yes, I am that awesome. So thanks for reading my mind.