Monday, June 09, 2008

Vinegar: My New Best Friend

So, a few years ago I bought this little book at the grocery check-out called "102 Ingenious Uses for Vinegar" or something like that. It reminded me of my grandma, who uses vinegar to wash windows.
Anyway, I stuffed it in a drawer when Mark made fun of it, but pulled it out tonight while trying to find our pool key. (we had a great FHE at the pool, btw).
While eating my banana-brownie split I flipped through this booklet and found an entry for unclogging drains. "Pour 1/2 cup baking soda then 1 cup vinegar into drain, wait till foaming stops, then rinse with hot water."
That helped my yucky kitchen drain run a little faster.
The next recipe was for speeding up slow drains. "Pour 1/2 cup salt followed by 2 cups boiling vinegar. Then rinse with hot and cold water. Hmm, I tried this one next. Unfortunately, the good work done by the first treatment was undone as the sink re-clogged filling with nasty water.
But, I thought it might be working slowly, so I waited, then got my plunger and voila! The best draining sink I have ever seen! Hooray!
This may seem like a small accomplishment, but I've tried a bottle of Draino, which is expensive and doesn't work, and is not "green." So, vinegar is my new best friend and I will keep my little booklet out and share my good news with everyone!

3 comments:

Sugar Jones said...

OH! NO! WAY! You have to do a sidebar with the daily vinegar cure-all. I'm going to try the drain cleaner right now!

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

Wow! Gotta love home remedies!

Unknown said...

I love it!!! Wow!! I have a book on all the health benefits of apple cider vinegar, and chelle thinks I am crazy--but I swear by it!

Go Green!! I only buy seventh generation stuff now, I know it's more money, but worth it!