Tuesday, December 02, 2008

A Visitor for Thanksgiving

Last week we had a visit from Mark's brother, David. He's a freshman at Snow College where he studies trumpet.

For the first half of his trip, he was a delightful guest, then he got sick and passed it to everyone. (Let me specify, everyone in my family of origin. Mark and the boys and I somehow did not get the flu bug.)

Here are some pics of Dave and Mark playing the Wii. Don't they look similar? It's remarkable, really.

There's also a cute picture of Cami (my sis) and Dave when she came over for lunch. They're the same age and have been friends since Mark and I got married, over 8 years ago (so, about half of their lives.)

Despite the fact that Dave was sick for the second half of his visit, we did have an enjoyable Thanksgiving dinner, and a good night of Rock Band. We'll see him again this Christmas when we travel to Michigan to visit Mark's other brother's family and his parents.

I'm sure there will be more Rock Band and more brotherly competing about who was the best athlete in high school.

But what do I know about high school athletics? I just did the calculus cheer from the stands at the football games.

I can still remember the chant:

D(x) Dx Dy
D(y) Dy Dz
Secant, Tangent, Cosine, Sine
3.14159!

Go Team!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Nate said...

I have several things to say.

First, what instruments are you guys best at/prefer? I think we have the potential to start a band and we can rock the world on "expert." We will have the time to do this and it will be awesome! I may even need to get Rock Band II.

Second, I will not discuss my high school sports prowess because I don't think there is much disagreement that I was the best. Unless, of course, trumpet is considered a sport.

Third, speaking of high school: That calculus cheer . . . uh . . . wow.

brandonm said...

I have to say, ditto to Nate on the calculus cheer. How did you survive high school?

Of course, I kid.

Jessica Steed said...

Nate,
First, I am only an expert on singing a few songs (ones I know and are in my range). But, I can do "hard" on guitar and sometimes on drums, but mostly drums are my weakest instrument. But yes, we should start a band and rock the world. The Xbox 360 is more fun that way than the Wii.
Second, Dave thinks he's the best at HS sports, so you can talk it out with him. I refuse to referee.

perfectwagnerite (who is this again?) and Nate
About the calculus cheer, well . . . let's just say that although I wasn't in the popular crowd, I did have a group of friends that did the cheer with me. That's how I survived HS. (Most of them have at least one doctoral degree by now, though.)

Nate said...

Sandrine can rock the drums provided her shoulder lasts. What's Mark's specialty? If you can do guitar on hard, you can do bass on expert so it seems we can get a good rotation going to keep it interesting. I refuse to play drums but I'll sing or do guitar. And cowbell.

Jessica Steed said...

Mark's good at the drums, too.
Don't you remember that he played in a band in Jr. High?
He's pretty much a professional :)
And, he's a decent singer, you know, from that touring collegiate choir experience.
Yeah, we'll rock out. Dave can bring his trumpet and play along ;)

Nate said...

We'll just tell Dave that XBox knows that he's playing his trumpet even though there are no notes for him.

Jessica Steed said...

:)
That's awesome. I think he'll go for it.