Sunday, June 07, 2009

Mohawk and Swim Meet

On Friday, I gave Jaxon a MOHAWK.

He likes it because he thinks it looks like a dinosaur's spine.

And now he cares a lot about his hair.

"Mom! Finn just messed up my mohawk!"


"Mom, I want to make my hair into a mohawk!"

The plan is to keep this style for a few days or weeks, then shave it all off into a buzz.

I tried to do surfer hair with Jaxon, but it always looked ratty, and instead of looking like a surfer dude, he mostly looked like a homeless child.
























Yesterday Jaxon had his first swim meet. He did the back stroke pretty well, only he kept turning around to see if he was done. He placed 5th of 6.

Then he did the butterfly and raced against his friend, Ethan. Jaxon kept looking up and giving Ethan a thumbs up through the race. And then because he doesn't exactly know how to do the butterfly (he just mostly swam under water), he won first place, coming in a fraction of a second behind Ethan (who has great form in the butterfly).















But, it was FREESTYLE race that made the event EXCITING. (see video below, esp last 20 seconds)

It's hard to see from the video, but Jaxon starts off the race with goggle problems. Then, he starts to realize that he's behind and decides to give up because he's not winning. He goes totally non-responsive, eyes closed, floating in the water.
The crowd is yelling and getting nervous and then some random man DIVES in to SAVE my tantrum-throwing child.
When they climb out, the crowd CHEERS, and I can't figure out why.

It was crazy. I even forgot I was still filming and thought, "Oh, I probably ought to turn off the camera."
As I walked over to get Jaxon someone asked me what happened and I said, "That's just his personality."

I took Jaxon aside to talk to him and he yells at me,

"I QUIT!"

Whoever said that boys aren't as much drama as girls has never met my children.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

8 comments:

Alisa said...

OK - that was so funny to watch. I hear you saying "Jaxon, you can do it!" and some lady screaming his name, nearly hysterically. I mean, yes, he was throwing a tantrum. But the other adults were over-reacting a bit, don't you think?

Thayer said...

Jess, I gotta meet these kids (I have met Jaxon that one time as a baby but it doesn't really count), this is hysterical! I love how the parents around you are like, "mom, is he ok" and you're so calm, "yeah, he's fine"...you gotta put this up on YouTube or something!

Jessica Steed said...

Alisa,
Yes, I do think the other parents over-reacted. However, if I didn't have Jaxon as my own child, I might not know that it is possible for a nearly 7 year old to throw a tantrum in the middle of a swimming race.
So, I can understand that they might think he was in some kind of danger.

Thayer,
It's only hysterical to me in retrospect. At the time I wanted to crawl under a lounge chair.
Mark thought it was funny that I was dismissive about how he was doing.
I think I will put it on YouTube.
We'll see what happens.

brandonm said...

Kid behavior. More complex and stupefying than quantum physics and micro-economics combined. And way more entertaining.

EmilyCC said...

Oh, my, goodness! This is one of the best family blog posts I've ever seen--a tantrum and a mohawk with a mom and dad taking it all in stride. Love it!

Kate said...

The mohawk was the envy of all the little boys in primary today. Seriously cool.
As for the swim video, I'm so happy you posted it. Hearing the story was funny... but then seeing the video was even better! I love it. He was obviously fine... still coming up for air. I love that that random man dove in. If my boys birthdays had fallen just a little differently, we totally would be there with you guys on swim team. I'm pretty sad that we're not.

Unknown said...

I am laughing so hard "He just wanted a break."

Man oh man.

I always tell my drama students to "Save the Drama for you Mama" because I don't want to deal with. Good thing it's in store for me when I become a mama!

Leslie said...

Could that win some money on "America's Funniest Videos?" Of course, I don't know if it's still on...