Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Trip to DC

At the end of February, I went to Washington DC as a representative of the Hemophilia community. The National Hemophilia Foundation has an annual event where it's members go to Capitol Hill and talk to our Congressmen and Senators about issues relating to the bleeding disorders community.

This year's Washington Day happened to be on the same day that President Obama did his Health Care Summit. Talking to the Legislative Assistants was really awesome since they were already in the mindset of healthcare. What had been a hard sell in years past (eliminating lifetime caps, getting rid of pre-existing condition clauses, etc) was a much easier discussion this year.

During the trip, I had some time to go touring. Here are my photos.

I got to see some old friends (Hi Kathleen! Hey Ben!) and make some new ones (Yeah Sus!) I even ran into a friend from our old BYU ward (Maddy, do you remember the Sandra and Justin?). Unfortunately, they didn't recognize me. I'm not sure if I'm just much better looking, or really old looking (or both?).

I had a great time in Baltimore visiting an old HS friend, Ben Brinton and his gorgeous and brilliant wife, Susan Christiansen. They have a beautiful brick home in Baltimore and were so gracious to put up with me for a day (including two drives to DC and back). It was such a wonderful trip all around.

I shouldn't be blogging this right now, I'm on my way to Cali tomorrow for a Mormon Feminist retreat (the second annual Sophia Gathering). I've planned it both years and I'm still not sure why I've taken on that responsibility. I don't need the extra stress. But, I'm really excited, it should be a lot of fun.

As far as March Laughs (for all of you followers out there) I will do them when I return. I'm so behind on the calendar, it's not funny. Jaxon has stopped asking me to change it. He's given up.




2 comments:

ChrisKnott said...

Hello, I just stumpled on your blog by clicking 'Next Blog' a few times! I'm a 21 year old British haemophiliac (that's how we spell it over here!).

I have always wondered what it is like having Haemophilia in America. I feel guilty sometimes about about how lucky we are over here in Europe. I have had my big box of Factor VIII delivered every month for free on the NHS, or with the EHIC, my whole life. To be honest, even thought I am Severe the condition barely affects me day-to-day.

I didn't realise how expensive it was until I had to get insurance for a trip to New York in 2007. It was the first time I can remember feeling discriminated against.

How have things changed with the recent laws? I hope you have seen some justice. I have been following from the UK and was saddened to see the more drastic reforms get scratched. Don't give up the fight! Please tell your boys they have the support of their blood brothers at The Haemophilia Society in Britain - http://www.haemophilia.org.uk/

Stella said...

Very cool photos! And cool trip! And cool cause! And cool gathering! Just so you know, next year I am already making arrangements to be there. The third annual gathering will be awesome! Take lots of pics for the second one though.