Wednesday, July 30, 2008

All About Jaxon


I'm imitating my best friend Leslie's post about things she doesn't want to forget about her children.
I know I write about my kids all the time, and when they're in bed, I should focus on something else, but there are wonderful things about them that I don't want to forget.
Here's the first in this series.
Jaxon
I should have named this child "Enthusiasm" because he is always so excited and happy about going places and
doing things. Each morning he asks, "Which day is it?" I answered today, "Wednesday." He says, "What do we do on Wednesdays?" meaning, "is this library day, pool day, museum day, friends day, or what?"
At the playground or the gym, Jaxon makes friends so easily. He's the first to walk up to a child and say, "Hi, I'm Jaxon, do you want to go play?" He'll share his ball, or play tag, and he always has a smile on his face.
Around the house, Jaxon can be very helpful if he wants to. When Finley was a few months old, I would mention that he needed a diaper change, and Jaxon would run to get the portable changing table (always making sure to buckle Fin, even when it was on the floor) the diaper and wipes. He can also clean his room pretty well when he puts his mind to it.
When it's time to play, Jaxon loves to play tickles on the bed, play mancala or chess, or read books. When mom or dad aren't available, Jaxon loves movies or playing games online (sesame street, calliou, or curious george).
A budding photographer, Jaxon takes pictures of me, the other kids, or his favorite items around the house.
Always the gymnast, Jaxon has been climbing since he was 18 months old and he surprised us by scaling the play gym at McDonald's without our even noticing. Today I saw him leap from the top of my dresser to the bed, just to get a laugh out of Finley. I think my oldest has a love of adventure.
Jaxon's other loves are gardens, anything that grows, Thomas the Train, things that shoot, learning about Australia, and playing the harmonica.
He is the first to comfort anyone in the house who cries and will bring a stuffed animal right away to help ease pain.
Some of my favorite memories of Jaxon:
He yells, "I'm a spleeding baris!" and runs as fast as he can down the hall.
How he answers inquiries about how he's doing, "Pretty well" or "Not pretty well." and answers invitations with, "I'd be so delighted."
He uses glorious, unbeatable, and unusually (among other big words) in amusing ways.
How I find hooks of every kind hanging strange objects all over my house. One of the most common are bungee cords and toys dangling from hangers or wall hangings. Also, he perches cars and trains precariously on the edge of the counter, waiting for them to fall.

Having Jaxon turn 6 last week has reminded me how fast the years are going and that I need to stop occasionally and remember the good, fun times, and put the irritating, stressful times in perspective.
Here's to you, Jaxon.
You're my little wonderboy!



3 comments:

Leslie said...

Love it! Doesn't it feel great to write down the good things about our kids? I can't wait to read about your other kiddos.

Jessica Steed said...

thanks!
look at you blogging all over the place.
Who knew?
:)

Unknown said...

I love how he says "I'd be so delighted" that cracks me up. I am going to say that next time I get an invitation!!