Monday, August 18, 2008

Blazing Steeds on the Hemophilia 5K Walk-a-thon

Mark and I have started a team for the Hemophilia 5K Walk-a-thon (held Sunday Sept 28, in Phoenix).
We're recruiting people to join our team, get a t-shirt, and support the cause.

If you're interested, go to the Blazing Steeds fundraising page (isn't that a great name? I came up with it myself :)

I haven't written about our hemophilia story, but I thought this would be a good place for those who've never heard it (or as a refresher for those who have).

Jaxon and Asher have severe hemophilia A. They are missing the genetic code that makes a protein essential for clotting blood. (It's called Factor 8 because it's the 8th in a clotting cascade. Without every domino, the process fails). So, their bodies don't make this protein at all, so their blood doesn't clot.
At all.
So in 2002, our first baby boy, Jaxon was circumcised, and it didn't stop bleeding for 24 hours. Diagnosis was one thing, but understanding the treatment was another.

Everyone reassured us that our baby would be fine. But, they said, he could have spontaneous bleeding (not from trauma) in his joints, organs, or muscles. Even in his brain. And, since he was a baby, we'd never know. So, of course Jaxon had colic, and when he would cry for long bouts, we would wonder if he was bleeding. We were never confident.

Jaxon had a lot of bruises, but not all of the problems other parents of children with hemophilia had. He didn't have bleeds in his forearms from banging his arms on the high chair tray. He didn't bleed while teething, and we never got reported to CPS for a child with too much bruising.

After he started walking he stopped abruptly and cried in pain. After a few hours, we suspected a bleed in his left hip. We treated him with the very expensive, but very safe and effective medication called factor (it's a synthetic factor 8 protein) and his symptoms disappeared.

After this first bleed, our hematologist medical team recommended a port-a-cath as a way to access deliver the factor into Jaxon's blood without having to find a vein every time. Jaxon then began prophylaxis, or preventative treatment.

The port-a-cath required surgery, and it was difficult to let them put my baby under the knife at 13 months old. But, we have been so glad that we did. Now age 6, Jaxon still has his port and gets his infusions 3 times a week. He has only had a handful of bleeds ever since.

After his diagnosis, we did genetic testing and determined that I am a carrier for hemophilia and that my mother was not, which means that it was a genetic mutation that occurred when I was created. So, since one of my X's is affected, I have a 1 in 4 chance of having a son that has hemophilia (and the same chances for having a girl that is a carrier).

When I was pregnant with Asher, I had an amnio and learned that he, too, would have hemophilia. It was a difficult time, but we have been so blessed with Jaxon's health that we weren't as scared as we were when Jaxon was born.

Everything went well with Asher until he got a big goose-egg on his head. Although it wasn't a brain bleed, it was on his head, so it was a concern. After we treated it, we decided to place a port in his little 8 month old body. That was so scary. But, he did great, just like his brother.


He's 2 1/2 now and hasn't had any joint or muscle bleeds that we know of. He has had some trauma (like when he sliced his head open on the minivan) and we've treated for those incidents.

So, we have been very blessed, or very lucky, but still wonder what the future of hemophilia holds for our children. Some possibilities are inhibitors, where the body attacks the factor 8 protein as a foreign object.
At best, hemophilia is inconvenient. At worst, it is deadly. Both boys wear medicalert bracelets on their ankles as a safeguard. We have to discuss these issues with teachers, babysitters, friends and family to make them aware of our children's special needs.

So far, our children's lives have been nearly normal, and that may or may not continue. They can play most sports, provided they infuse beforehand. (with the exceptions of football, boxing, and hockey) They will not be able to go away from home without parents until they can learn to self-infuse, which will probably be around age 9 or 10. Their ports will come out eventually (they usually only last for a year or 2 in cancer patients) and they will begin to infuse peripherally, through their veins.

We anticipate the future with much hope and continue to look forward to a cure, which is really not that far out of reach.
We just need a little luck and a lot of support.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am a huge supporter! And I will show my support with your boys. I'd actually like to send them something in the mail they can open up. Will you email me your address?!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your story. It was full of detail and it's not something I completely knew about your boys. I understood they had Hemophelia, but that's all. Thanks for clarifying.

Jessica Steed said...

D'Arcy,
You are so thoughtful!
I will email you my address.

Allison,
I'm glad that story helped. I tell it so much that I wonder if it's just repetitive for some, but I know it's not for everyone.
Thanks again for donating. We really appreciate it!

Alisa said...

Thank you for sharing your story, Jessica. I am so proud of your cause and your advocacy work, as well as for your boys for being such brave, strong, regular life-loving boys. I'm definitely in!

Mike G. said...

Thanks for your story. Our son was 7 months old before he was diagnosed with severe type A hemophilia. We struggled with 5 infusions and the pain of multiple sticks before getting a port installed on his first birthday. Like you said,although it was tough in the beginning, overall it has been a very liberating device. My wife infuses him every other day, and I've just started doing it myself on the weekends. It's always refreshing to hear others who show the strength to manage the difficulties of Hemophilia; so I will say it again, thank you for sharing.

hedey said...

I know this comment comes months after your posting, but I was doing a google search for mormon families with hemophilia and your blog was one of the results. I have a very similar story--no family history and two boys with hemophilia. Our first son, Keaton was diagnosed after his circumcision. It was such a scary diagnosis with so much unknown for us and I felt so alone! He never got a port and has had some ankle bleeds, but is doing really well. Our third son also has severe hemophilia A, but also developed an inhibitor, so we had to have a port put in--and I was terrified of the surgery, especially since he had an inhibitor--but it turned out well, and he is finally practically inhibitor free and doing so well--I had no idea that ports could make life so much easier. I just wanted to say hi--especially since I don't know any other LDS families with hemophilia. We live in New Hamphire, but my husband is from Utah and we met at BYU.