Monday, August 25, 2008

Parenting Styles

I'm the full-time parent. And, obviously, Mark is the one with a great relationship with our little toadlets. He's the patient, full-of love and long suffering father.

And I love it.

So, here's a typical evening out with the children, like tonight at a friend's birthday picnic.

Me greeting Hostess: "Happy Birthday! It's so good to see you! Thanks for inviting us . . . ." (continues to talk for 10 minutes)

Mark: (carrying Fin, dragging Asher, and hollering after Jaxon) "Jess, do you want to sit over there?"

Me: "Sure honey, just a sec. " (continues chatting)

Mark: (finds a place to sit, corrals children, eyes table for possible foods that children will actually eat)

Me: (joining family) "Are you guys ready to eat?"

Mark and Me: (go to table and get food)

Mark: (sits down and gives a plate of food to Asher, helps Finley eat some watermelon, looks for Jaxon who's off playing on the hammock)

Me: "mmm, this sandwich is delicious. I think the salad turned out pretty well."

Mark: "Did you get any food for Jaxon?"

Me: (frowning) "Uh, no." (continues eating)

Mark: (returns to table to get food for himself.) (upon return) "Jess, what is Finley eating? Did you give that to him?"

Me: (confused) "What? Oh, yeah, I think Asher did" (continues to visit with friends)

Mark: (looking for Jaxon) "Well, I think Jaxon's going to skip dinner tonight"

(continues for 1 hour)

Mark: (exhausted) "I think it's time to go"

Me: (disappointed) "Already?"

Mark: "Yes. I'll get the kids, you get the stuff."

Me: "Well, there's not that much stuff, let's go together."

(we get to the van, and get home)

Me: "Where's the salad bowl? Did we forget it?"

Mark: "I guess. You were supposed to get the stuff."

Me: "Crap. I love that salad bowl."

The End.

And I wonder why Mark doesn't like to go places with the kids!?

5 comments:

Alisa said...

This is totally funny. I can picture it.

Unknown said...

Always take disposable wares to a party...that's what I am going to learn from this anecdote!

Brittany said...

I have your salad bowl!!! thanks for coming. it was super fun. sorry i was kind of all over the place!!! been a rough few days. ok, since sunday night i have been a basket case. owell, hopefully it will stop raining soon :)

Jessica Steed said...

Thanks everybody!

Alisa, I know. It's too true. I'm not an attentive mother when there is anything more interesting going on :)

D'Arcy,
Great idea. I'll pack up the salad in a big ziploc next time. Much more functional ;)

Britt,
Thanks for having a party. It was fun to see you. You look great. The only give away that you've had a rough few days was the way you were soooo busy cleaning and organizing.
(and I felt bad about that beause it was your party).
We had a great time. Or should I say, the kids and I did. :) Mark may have had more work than fun! But, Doug sat down and ate dinner with us. That was kind of him. Mark really gets along well with him.
Why don't you bring the girls over sometime and play Rock Band with me?

Nate said...

Mark..I am right there with you buddy!

Emily always wants to go out to see friends, she does not realize what that entails for the less conditioned parent.

Not only do I feel obligated to help out more to make up for the hours at work, I am really bad at doing Emily's job. 2 boys exhaust me so fast. I don;t know how full-time parents do it.