Saturday, November 01, 2008

Halloween 2008


This Halloween was quite a treat (pun intended) and we had a lot of fun.
First, I took Asher (our little tourist) and Finn (a protesting dragon) to the library to do crafts, watch a puppet show, then parade around the inside of the library to show off their costumes to the bored adults lounging and reading books.

In the afternoon we headed out in the heat (and boy was it hot, I told Mark that next year, if it's this hot again, I'm wearing a bikini and going as Malibu Barbie) to Jaxon's school for the parade of characters. All of the kindergartners were dalmatians with a black nose and spotted tail. It was adorable. They walked around the school with Disney music blasting in the background while Asher and I danced and cheered them on.

Later we got dressed for trick-or-treating. Jaxon went as a Fantastic Four superhero (I bought the costume for a few bucks at a clearance a few years ago but Jaxon recently discovered the movie and was thrilled to be a superhero. I was thrilled that he didn't want to be the devil, which was his first choice.) Asher didn't like any of the costumes we already had, so he wore loafers with no socks, a Hawaiian shirt, and carried around a camera as a tourist. If I had thought harder, I would have let him wear his normal costume, a colander on his head. He could have been a martian, maybe.

Finn wore the dragon costume, because that's what we had, and he's our third son. Nothing special for him.

I put on my black dress, a ton of makeup (you can't really tell, though) and made my hair crazy, (again, not so obvious in the pictures) then balanced my broom on the stroller as I pushed it around the neighborhood. I make a great witch, costume or no.

Later, we went to our friends Amy and Darryl's and hung out, turning away sad trick-or-treaters when we ran out of candy.

The best part of the evening was watching Asher trick-or-treat.
He'd head up to someone, and as they were putting candy in his pumpkin, he'd help himself to more from their bowl. I guess he thought it was "self-serve." He ended up with almost twice as much as Jaxon, and almost more than he could carry. Mark pointed out that watching Asher lugging the pumpkin was just like watching Mark carry the big 5 gallon water barrels.

Priceless.

And, because we were gone the entire night, and only put a little candy on our table at our front door, we have all the stuff we bought but never gave out.

Sweet! That means an extra 5 pounds for me before Thanksgiving. I couldn't ask for more than that from Halloween.

Also, today we went to a Pumpkin Patch Carnival at Schnepf Farms. Here are the pics on our webalbum.

3 comments:

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

Love the Malibu barbie idea! You crack me up! Sounds like you had a great time! Your boys are too cute!

Kate said...

Your eye make-up and hair were more extreme in person. :) You looked great! And thanks for the stroller. You SAVED me that night.

Jessica Steed said...

Thanks, Kate.
Glad to know someone noticed that I was dressed up :)
You're welcome for the stroller, glad we could help.