Sunday, January 31, 2010

January Laughs

Here's the most recent in this series. Other installments can be found Dec, Nov, Oct, Sept, and Aug.

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of Asher quotes in this edition. He mostly continued in his wacky ways by spending his days in only his underpants, in a wad of blankets on my bed that he calls his "nest." He loves being at home so much that sometimes when he's distressed, even at home, I hear him say, "I wanna go home." Yeah, honey, you're here already.

1-4 After not getting Cheezits and hot dogs at the grocery store, Jaxon came home very grumpy. He gives me his best I-wish-you-were-dead glare and says authoritatively, "Your behavior at the store was unacceptable."

1-5 While eating the last of his Christmas candy, Jaxon reads the strip of paper on his Hershey's Kiss, "Kissie, Kissie, Kissie . . . " Throughout the month, he refers to them as "Kissies." I know I should tell him the truth, but it's so cute.

1-10 Finn and Asher play "Keek-a-boo" under the covers in our bed. After that, Finn loves to "Gock-a-bye" in the rocking chair.

1-13 I picked Jaxon up from school early because he was in the nurse's office with a stomach ache. In the car on the way home he explains, "I'll tell ya when I'm gonna be feeling better. When school is over."

1-14 After what must have been a hard day, Jaxon remarks, "I don't like school. I don't like home. I like leftovers."

1-15 Jabbering about his string cheese, Finn gushes, "It's cute. It's cute, Mama."

1-18 After being offered some kind of meat for dinner that he found undesirable, Jaxon tells me he's a vegetarian. So, I offer him some vegetables. "No, I'm the kind of vegetarian that doesn't eat vegetables." Then when I offer him a bean burrito he asks suspiciously, "What's in the beans?"

1-20 Finn drinks his yogurt from a straw.

1-21 Jaxon is trying to use me as a model to demonstrate something. He says, "Mama, come here. I'm gonna pretend like I'm gonna choke ya, but not too hard."

1-22 We're admiring our darling kitty Milo, and Jaxon comments on the swirl in the kitty's side.
I say, "It kinda looks like a cinnamon roll. Maybe we should have named him Cinnakitty."
Jaxon turns to me with a frownsmile and responds, "No. I don't like that name."

1-25 During family home evening, we discuss how much Jesus loves the kids. Jaxon pipes up very knowingly, "Jesus pays for our clothes, bricks, everything (with sweeping gestures)." When I asked for more detail, Jaxon responds, "He uses Spirit money."

1-27 Two of Jaxon's favorite foods are Smash potatoes (mashed potatoes) and Girl cheese sandwiches. He can't figure out why they're called this even though boys can eat them, too.

1-28 Jaxon tells me, "Milo scratching me was not appropriate so he's on the top bunk in timeout. He can come down when he's ready to be nice again."

1-29 After I had buckled Asher and Finn in the car to go to the park, I started driving to find Jaxon 2 houses down in our neighborhood. I lectured him about not leaving the house without telling me, explaining that if I left him alone in the house, he would be scared. He responds, "No, I wouldn't be scared. I'd be fine. There'd be no one to boss me around."

1-30 While preparing dinner, I had music on and was dancing with the kids. Jaxon stops suddenly in the middle of the song and says, "Mom, I need a sister. I have three brothers and no sisters."

1-30 Jaxon hears his brother Asher growl or holler from the playroom and remarks calmly, "Mom, Asher's getting in a rough mood with Finn. You'd better go look."