Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Pet Curse

You may remember that not quite two months ago we got a new pet, Figaro, the fish. (Because I killed the pet mice, right?)
In case you'd forgotten, here are some photos, snapped the day we bought that cute little Betta fish.
That I killed.

Yes, I did it again, folks. I broke my little 7 year old's heart.

But I refuse to take all of the blame. Mark planned this surprise vacation and did not plan a place for Figaro. So, he asked me what to do with her, and I said she'd be fine for 4 days. I mean, I have a friend who tried for a MONTH to kill her Betta fish. Another friend didn't feed hers for a month and it finally died. So 4 days doesn't seem like such a big deal, right?

I was wrong.

When we came home, she was NOT swimming in her bowl. The water was murky and smelly.

Jaxon started crying and (this is the worst part) told me that maybe Figaro was like an iguana, it could change it's color to match it's background, so he was still there swimming around, but he just blended in with the shells and plants.

That's when I started crying. Then I told Jaxon we were going right now to buy a new fish. He perked up at that news.

Why am I the worst pet person in the world?

Or, perhaps the better question is why do I have a child that LOVES pets where I barely tolerate them? (This is where I tell you that Jaxon would sing lullabies to Figaro and kiss his bowl goodnight).

When Mark cleaned out the bowl and found half of Figaro in one of the shells at the bottom.

The new fish's name is Herman.

We'll see if he can last more than 2 months.


If not, maybe we need something a little more robust, like a cat or dog.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

I love your pet stories, you should write a book! I am the same way with pets (and plants)! I am surprised that I can keep my own kids fed! Hope Herman does better, good luck!

Nate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nate said...

It seems to me that if you keep killing pets the solution would not be to get a larger pet. Imagine what the house would smell like with half a dog found somewhere. Of course, if that happened, you may have larger problems than neglect of animals. You may have a coyote infestation.