Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Food Storage

Not my typical topic, BUT . . . the stars are aligning for preparedness and I decided I'd better listen.

First, I'm getting emails from friends indicating that since the prophets have been warning us for years to have our food storage, with the financial crisis, this is an example of how they were right. I'm calling it the Seven Skinny Cows period.

Second, my cousin, Michelle, linked me to a blog of a woman in Utah who has been having dreams about being prepared with 3 months of food storage. She's even gone around to all of her neighbors committing them to getting water and food. Also, Michelle says that other people who have premonitions (or prophesy, perhaps?) are on the same wavelength of preparation.

Third, more emails about food storage, why it's important, what the prophets say, how to do it, etc.

Fourth, Fry's (Kroger) is having their big sale of basic foods by the case. So, tonight I went and picked up a case of each:
Flour
Sugar
Green Beans
Corn
Black Beans
Mac N Cheese (1/2 case)
Water (X 2)

and some of these: oil, Spaghettios, soup, juice

I made sure that I thought it was reasonable for us to use these things by the expiration date (which is why I didn't get an entire case of Mac N Cheese b/c we'd have to eat it weekly to use 48 by next August. Other items had longer shelf lives)

It was a pretty reasonable price, too. I was very surprised. I stocked up on all of these things (I could hardly see over my cart) and spent less than I usually do at Costco.

We have some other supplies, and 3 kits from the church food storage. We also have 3 big blue barrels of water in our backyard.

My next project is to get the 72 hour kits together. Here's a basic list if you're looking for one.

[As a note, I have a family member who scoffs at the 72 hour kit. He says that his 72 hour kit is his Visa card. :) I say, suit yourself.]

6 comments:

EmilyCC said...

I never cared much about food storage until I had kids. I worry about it now quite a bit because is there anything worse than the imagery of one's children starving?

And, your post has convinced me that I should work more on this. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to save up on food storage. It's a hard one for me. I did recently open a new bank account for preparedness. Cash on hand and money to use to buy food storage.

Nate said...

I'm not saying I'm the aforementioned family member who doesn't believe in 72 hour kits. But, when would you ever need a 72 hour kit?

(My problem is not with 72 hour kits by themselves. If you want one, go for it. My problem is with the canonization of 72 hour kits despite never being mentioned as a necessity by leaders of the church. I really mean never.)

Also, we survived Hurricane Katrina without a 72 hour kit.

Jessica Steed said...

EmilyCC,
You're right about not caring about food storage until you have kids. I'd always thought I'd go to my parent's place when I needed anything. But now that my family is the same size as theirs, it's time that I got our family prepared instead of leaning on them.

Allie Cat,
We still need to get the emergency cash. That is something that I hadn't remembered. Thanks for reminding me!

Nate,
I'm not saying you are either. And, I do agree with you, if it was never mentioned, then we shouldn't need one. Except, I think the Red Cross recommends one, don't they? I also think people feel safer if they're prepared, whether or not they use the stuff.
And, wouldn't you say that you survived Hurricane Katrina because of the LDS church's organization and a gracious member who'd never met you before who let you stay at his house instead of on the gym floor at the church?
But, I am interested that you don't think they would have been handy. How long did you have to pack when you realized you were leaving?

Nate said...

Like I said, I think it's fine if you think you need one or that you think 72 hour kits are generally a good idea. I just disagree with people believing that 72 hour kits are somehow part of the restored gospel. That's all.

We would have survived Katrina without the Church's organization or the gracious member. But, it sure made it at least bearable. We took clothes for the weekend and our "Important Papers" folder that has birth certificates, passports, immunization records, and SS cards in it.

I think for most people, their house is their 72 hour kit. I mean, if you were homebound for 72 hours, most people could live on the food they had in the house. Water might be a little more tricky but you can always drink the water in the toilet basin if you need to.

I personally think 72 hour kits are a waste of money for most people. Unless you happen to be in a high risk area for a major and wide-spread, unexpected natural disaster like an earthquake or something, I just don't see the need for anything beyond some quick cash and important papers on hand. If you were forced to leave you would have time to gather your stuff and get out.

Especially with little kids, the amount of equipment required for a 72 hour kit exceeds your family's ability to transport it all if needed. The three year old is not going to carry her 3 gallons of water.

Unknown said...

I think a 72 hour kit is a wise idea...I keep one in my car and in my house.

I have spend about $800.00 of savings getting fully prepared for 3 months...not a year, but I feel better about it!!