Thursday, October 23, 2008

A Rose by Any Other Name . . .

When we named Finley, almost a year ago, we knew that it was rare, but ranked higher for boys than for girls. (If you haven't checked out Name Voyager, you should, it tracks the popularity of names back to the 1800's).

So, we went with the fun name, Finley, because it makes us smile, and so does our little Twinkie.

However, since his birth, we keep hearing about people naming their little GIRLS Finley. First, a girl in the newspaper, then a girl at the gym childcare. Now, Lisa Marie Presley makes it famous by naming her daughter Finley.

For us, we're starting to call him Finn sometimes. It's a cute nickname, not unlike Brad for Bradley or Stan for Stanley. But Finn is a little tricky because it's so short, people don't understand it the first time I say it.

It seems to me that Finley is going the way of Whitney, Courtney, and Leslie: and probably many others. These were boy names that later became girl names so that now only the nickname is masculine. For example, our HS student body president was named Whitney, but he went by "Whit."

Finley's other choice is his middle name, I guess, Cannon. That's a nice name, too.

As a feminist, I'm trying to kick the idea that boys doing "girly" things is somehow bad. It's a misogyny that runs deep in our culture, and it's hard to break. That's why I'm a little conflicted about changing the way we refer to our child based solely on the fact that girls share his name.

What do you think about gendered names?
What do you think this little guy looks like? Finley? Finn? Cannon? Something else?
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

jana said...

Are you or your husband a Cannon? If so, we're undoubtedly related. :)

Anonymous said...

Lisa Marie had two girls No Boys so both girls are named Finley and Harper

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the Name Voyager link. We just found out yesterday that we are having a girl. Don't worry, we won't name her Finley. I like Finn for a nickname and I really like Cannon. Any little boy would love to be called a name that is an explosive.

Alisa said...

I think it's a great name, and like you said, he has plenty of options. I appreciated all your angles of it (and fighting misogyny, of course!). It's a funny thing about whether or not to put feminism on to your kids when they don't live in a really feminist world and are bound to see conflict between the genders. Good questions.

Alisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alisa said...

Woops. Blogger repeated my comment.

Jessica Steed said...

Jana,
No, we are not Cannon's but we like the name, so I guess we wish were were!

tenayshush, Good to know that the other girl's name is Harper. That's not very feminine either.

Stephanie,
I loved looking at Name Voyager when I was pregnant.
Congratulations on finding out it's a girl!

Alisa,
Thanks for your comments. It's true that my kids don't have any choice about living in a feminist world. They live in my world, and I'm a feminist :)

Unknown said...

as someone named after one of the most famous MEN in literature, I always wished my name had been more dainty, like Tiffany or Crystal....but now I wouldn't change it. I love how unique it is (I typed it into voyager, wow...short name span there, and it hasn't been used in years!)

I love the name Finley.I think it fits him.

Jessica Steed said...

D'Arcy,
I love your name, too.
I bet it's hard getting people to spell it correctly, though.
It's nice that you're happy having a man's name, but I think it's too bad that men are not happy with a woman's name.