Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Are we the only ones . . .?

While enjoying a Mario cart game on the Wii, we lamented (again) about our old tube TV.
Just recently we got the free coupon for the digital converter, so sometimes we have TV channels.

But, our picture is really crummy. The TV is 11 years old and the pixels seem so big and white to me. I have always rejected getting one because we hardly ever watch TV. But now we play the wii, and sometimes watch movies, so maybe . . .

We've (or more accurately, I've) been looking at buying an LCD or Plasma TV (Mark's brother got one for Christmas and this gives me the PERFECT opportunity to show him polishing it. If you look closely, you can see how he had to saw off the top of his entertainment center to make it fit)


My online research is leading me to refurbished TVs, and I really like this site, Second Act and of course I'm always checking craigslist, but maybe a TV is something you buy new. I don't know.

Anyway, so we're thinking about it, but we may wait until next Christmas, or until Mark gets a bonus or I get a side job.

What kind of TV do you have?
Are we the only ones who still have our decade old dinosaur TV? (Not that we're trying to keep up with the Jones', we're not.)
Really.

8 comments:

Alisa said...

We have an analog too, but it's only about five years. Our converter box works really well on it, so we have a nice picture. Since we only watch a little TV, a few movies, and play a little Atari, we're probably set for awhile.

I think your idea of going secondhand is a smart one. I think I might consider that eventually.

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

We don't even own a tv! We are in corporate housing for a couple more months. So you will have to keep us informed of your research as we will be purchasing one soon!

Jessica Steed said...

Alisa,
I'm glad to hear that your converter box works well. Our problem is with our antenna. It doesn't work so well.
Your blog was the way I found out about the converter box at all. Thanks again!

Maddy,
Yeah, we didn't own a TV for our first 2 years of marriage. Then we bought the one we have now from a friend who bought it from Rent to Own store. So, it's 3rd hand.

Where are you guys moving?

brandonm said...

Well, you're the master authority on finding deals, but I just saw one that you guys might consider.

The latest Fry's mailer lists a 32 or 36 (I don't recall) HD LCD for like $325 or something in that neighborhood. Now, I'm no expert, but to me that sounded like a screaming deal. I imagine that size screen would fit in your hutch--but you should always measure (as you saw in MI).

Our TV was on sale at Target for a thousand bucks--40 inches and one of the top rated screens on Consumer Reports. Most importantly (to me), it fit perfectly into the entertainment center. We have an entertainment center from IKEA and the measurments must be odd because I had a lot of trouble finding a screen that would fit...

It was a splurge, but Meghan bought it for me as a reward for surviving the past summer--we lived in a house crammed with seven adults (one of them pregnant), a toddler, three dogs, and three cats. Suffice it to say, dreams of that TV really helped me cope :).

Well there you have it. Good luck! See ya tonight!

brandonm said...

By the way, if you guys want to do another opera date, save Feb. 28th on your calendar. I'm conducting that night--it's a Puccini double bill: Sister Angelica and Gianni Schicchi. Should be fun...Let me know whether you guys are interested.

Nate said...

Jess, first you need to decide if you're going to get a high definition signal or not. If you're not, then a standard signal will look no good on a bigger TV. In that case, I bet a high 30-incher would be fine. I haven't done the research to determine if the change over to digital TV will also result in HD TV being broadcast over the air.

My only hesitation is buying a flat screen TV used is that plasmas can experience "burn-in" if left on with a static image for long periods of time (like a stock ticker or channel logo) so you'll want to see it on before you buy and you'll want to see it in a variety of channels to make sure the screen is all good. This is not a concern for LCDs.

-TV polishing brother in law

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

Not sure where we are moving, but our housing ends at the end of March. We are supposed to go to Puerto Rico, but cost of living is pretty crazy. So Nick is trying to transfer within the company.

Jessica Steed said...

Thanks for all of your comments! We're just still looking, trying to figure out what works best for our house and wallet.