Monday, January 19, 2009

Dream Job or One For the Money

At my most recent book group, we discussed this month's selection, Eat Cake by Jeanne Ray. We each brought a cake (mine was part of the story and the recipe included at the end of the book: Sweet Potato Bundt Cake with Rum Plumped Raisins and a Spiked Sugar Glaze) and discussed the book while devouring a month's worth of calories.

The book was a light read (like Angel food cake), about a woman with a mid-life crisis who decides to turn her hobby (baking cakes) into a business.

So, we discussed what kind of business or job we would dive into if we were this woman. I'm starting to really think I can and want to do something on the side to have a little extra money for bar stools and a trip to Disneyland.

It seems like there are a few ways of looking at this.

Dream Jobs: Getting paid is a bonus, but you LOVE to do this thing.
Convenient Jobs: The kind that you have experience for, or can do from home, or you have connections with.

In the book, baking cakes was both of these for the main character, Ruth. In real life, I doubt many people have that luxury.

Photography
The closest thing I have to a dream job is my love of photography. I'm interested in being a photographer for families, weddings, babies, etc. I really love taking, editing, printing, and hanging photographs. All I need is a class or two to help me take better pictures (and understand my fancy new camera!)

Law
Since I graduated, I've always wanted to go to law school and be an attorney. That's looking less convenient and less dreamy every year, so perhaps that will never be my job.

Computer Science
My BFF Leslie's husband says that jobs in the computer industry are great for SAHMs. I'm looking into what fields are open and what specific training I would need to begin that kind of work.

Non-Profit
My work on the board of the Arizona Hemophilia Association for the last five years would make me a good candidate to stay in the non-profit world, either with fundraising, consulting or management. I'm a little burned out at this point, so I'm not sure that's in my future either.

Transcription
Another friend is doing transcription from home, and while I couldn't keep up on my blogging if I was busy typing for work all night, it would be nice to have a source of side income.

So, these are my ideas.

What do you think?
Do you have a dream job?

7 comments:

Thayer said...

Hey Jess, been stalking you via the blog since I got your Christmas card. I was planning on sending out a New Years card but not sure if it'll make printing :) Enjoyed Eat Cake, looking for a dream job I can do from home too, maybe crafting?

Bryce, Anna, Porter, Avery and Colette said...

I am going to need to find something else once the little one is born... I have thought about transcription as well, but never knew where to even start, if you know more I would love an 'in' or just info.

Jessica Steed said...

Thayer!!!!

I'm so glad to see you here. :)
I just checked your blog and added it to my reader.

You got a girl? Lucky!
If I have one, I really want to call her Lily. I love that name.

I'm glad to know you guys are still around and I'm looking forward to keeping closer tabs on you!

Good luck with the dream-home job.
I'm not very crafty, but my crafty friends use Etsy. Have you tried it?

Jessica Steed said...

Anna,
The transcription company I called says you have to type 65-70 WPM at least, and they have an automated phone system to guide you through the beginning of the application process.
It's called transcription express, I think. It's in Gilbert.
I had to take one of those online typing tests to see how I did.

Kate said...

Well.... you already know all about my dream job of list making. ;) And my current job (definitely not dreamy) of piano teaching...
But I just wanted to say again that your cake was SCRUMPTIOUS. And I'm glad we read that fun book.

Jessica Steed said...

Thanks, Kate.
I really think event planning is probably a good way to convert your love of list-making into a career.
You'd be awesome.

I'm glad you liked the cake. I really liked it, too. (It probably had some extra romance for us because she talked it up so much in the book!)
I'd like to make another one, but my next project is blackberry jam.

Jessica Steed said...

New dream job:
Substitute teaching.
I'll let you know how it goes!