Friday, January 23, 2009

Embarrassing Personal Confession #2

Some time ago, I read a fashion book that discussed the best clothes for each body type. For mine, the most important part of my wardrobe was supposed to be a pair of jeans, dark wash, no design on the pockets, with a boot cut.

I began my quest for the perfect pair of jeans a few weeks ago with my friend Leslie. After probably 20 stores (not kidding) I hadn't located them, so I went back to the mall by myself. At the Gap, I found a pair called "Long and Lean" that matched the above description. Unfortunately, they didn't have my size, so I kept looking, thinking that I would go back later, or to another store, or perhaps find them online on sale.

(In the meantime I found another pair at a new store like Buffalo Exchange, but down the street. I really love this pair, even though they aren't dark, and have stitching on the pockets. But they're cute and comfy.)

This morning, after a late night out with the girls to see a drive-in double feature, I find a pair of jeans on my bed that look oddly familiar. They're obviously not new, they're a little crumpled, but I read the tag curiously,

The Gap
Long and Lean
size 6 reg

The EXACT pair of jeans I almost bought the week before.
Hmm, I try them on and think, "Where did these come from?"

When I call Mark, he explains that he found them in his stack of jeans and put them on the bed.

What?!?

Can it be that the my ideal jeans were in my closet the whole time?

What is most bizarre is that I have no recollection of acquiring these jeans, although I vaguely remember that I've worn them before.

Mark's advice is classic,
"Next time you go shopping, check your closet first."

6 comments:

Thayer said...

I have to say that Long and Lean is my favorite cut too - I hate jean shopping :(

Alisa said...

I hate jean shopping too. Of the stories I can tell.

At least you didn't have to spend any money!

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

Too funny! Shopping for jeans is always an ordeal! What was the book you read! I feel like nothing (especially jeans) fit me right!

DaNelle said...

A six? your killin' me here Jessica! BUt I'm also laughing pretty hard too so that's okay!

Jessica Steed said...

Thayer,
I remember that you used to work at the Gap, so that means they're the best jeans in the entire store! But, the difference is that you actually are long and lean, and I just wear the pants ;)

Alisa,
I know, it's impossible to find a great fitting pair of jeans. The cutest pairs I have (for example, the one in the photo) are hand-me-downs from Cami, who has a lot better fashion sense and more money to spend.

Maddy,
I can't remember the exact book, but I just found this link that looks pretty close.
http://www.howtolookgood.com/advice_home.html

DaNelle,
You know sizes just vary by store. The entire jeans shopping thing was giving me a fat complex, though. I went with my skinny friend, then at the resale store, I bought the BIGGEST pair of jeans (size 9 Lucky's) in the store. It was pretty embarrassing. But, the cashier (a size 1) assured me that the sizes are just so small because it's near a college campus. That hardly made me feel better. I was this size in college. Geez.
So, I must either learn to give up body comparisons, or go shopping with friends my size or bigger.

Unknown said...

When did jeans get to cost an arm and a leg? Remember when they were just average? Now they're all fancy. But, I do admit, they are cuter that way.

I HATE jean shopping. Too big in the hips, too small in the waist and too long of legs (try being 6 feet tall and finding good jeans when you are NOT a super model!!)