Friday, January 09, 2009

Snapped!


As I unloaded the kids at soccer practice yesterday, I realized that our team was practicing on the other side of the field. I put Finn back in his carseat, to drive around to the other side while the older boys ran across the field.

Strike One: LAZY

Then, I put the key in the ignition and started the car. As I turned the steering wheel, the strap from the diaper bag, to which my keys were attached with a clip, caught on the fuzzy steering wheel cover.
Expecting things to loosen, I kept turning, then felt the strap give and heard the car die.
What? The big end of my key fell down and the little end, yep, still in the ignition. The key snapped.

Strike Two: Not paying attention.

So, Danielle let's me borrow her car (thanks, Danielle!) and I go to get a magnet, some tape, and chewing gum.
I drop the kids off at home with Mark (thanks, Mark!) Go back to the car, but nothing works.
Then I spend an hour calling AAA to renew our membership and get a locksmith.

When I take Mark to the car to wait, he tries to put the broken key into the ignition.
Ta Da! It works.

Strike Three: Stupid!

The locksmith comes to our home, extracts the key with a VACUUM and gives us the broken bit with advice to have a mechanical copy made, then super glue it to the back of the bigger key, so I can still use it.

Brilliant.

So, instead of a $250 new key, I can have a $2 new key taped to the back of my old key. Works for me.

3 comments:

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

Sorry to hear about your key! Glad things worked out!

Nate said...

I'm sorry it happen to you but I'm glad to know what to do if it happen to me. Thanks for sharing the story.
A vacuum and some tape. Simple enough.
Sandrine

Jessica Steed said...

I don't know if a regular vacuum will do it.
But, I do think you can start your car with the half-key. That's worth knowing . . .