Monday, September 29, 2008

Are You Watching This?!?!

I just got a call from my nearly-frantic mother-in-law. She wondered how Mark was doing with the huge drop in the stock market today.
Apparently, while I was cleaning out the laundry room and sweeping up the shards of mercury-glass from my TWO broken CFL bulbs, the stock market shattered as well.

From the looks of it, the DOW's largest drop in history was due to a report that Congress would NOT bail out the financial institutions in crisis. Who is to blame and how we are going to get out of this mess remains up in the air.

Of course the presidential candidates are posturing to "lead" (if you can call it that) while the lame-duck President looks even lamer and duckier than usual.

And while I don't understand this mess in it's entirety, Mark has cleared things up considerably on his blog (Don't be offended, there aren't any pictures. He did spend 3+ hours writing that post, including reading the actual bill on the floor of Congress)
I expect he'll update it after today's events.

It looks like we've just begun a scary ride that we can't get off.

5 comments:

Alisa said...

Surreal. Seriously.

But man, that picture of Asher is too funny. Is that terrible that I laughed outloud? And I know what it's like to hate rides. I can totally relate, but still, so funny.

Nate said...

Mark read the bill while sitting on the floor of Congress? That guy gets around.

Jessica Steed said...

Only a really cruel person, with nothing else to do, would insult my GRAMMAR at a time like this.
Oh, and it wasn't the person who commented who has the Masters degree in English.
Nope.
It was the rude brother-in-law.
(I'm not sure how BANNING works, but I might have to figure it out. Either that, or get an e-taser).

Jessica Steed said...

Alisa,
Yeah, that is a funny picture, isn't it?
I remember laughing at the time, which probably wasn't the best mommy moment :)
What's even more ironic, considering the state of our financial markets, is that Asher's ride has a steering wheel, giving him the illusion of control. But, as we can see, he really doesn't have any.

Nate said...

It's true. I am cruel and I have nothing else to do. But I draw the line at being called rude.