Thursday, September 18, 2008

Status: Potty Training

One week ago I began potty-training Asher.
I was surprised at how well it went. With Jaxon, I discovered the only way to ensure that he used the potty was to let him run around naked for a few days.

So, last Thursday was Asher's first naked day. He didn't have any pee accidents, and only one poo accident, but the next day the poo and pee all made it into the potty.

Here's a great pic of Ash on his first day, with a game box on his head. It makes a great hat.

It's been 8 days, and Asher is still doing fine peeing on the potty. However, with a few exceptions, the first 2 days, he hasn't pooped on the potty. In fact, he's hardly pooped at all.
My veggie loving, always regular child has constipated himself for fear of the toilet.
About 4 times a day, he'll yell "poo poo!" grab his bum, and run to the potty. But then nothing happens.

He has pooped in his diaper, but those were very traumatic events for him.
So, I've been giving him prune juice and more than his fair share of fruits and veggies, hoping that he'll get through this uncomfortable part of potty-training.

So, Mark's suggestion is that we put him back into diapers (oh, he won't wear big boy underwear, or Pull-Ups, so diapers is what he wears for sleeping and outings) for a while.

But, I'm torn. Will it undo a weeks worth of training?
Or, is this constipation a sign that he really isn't ready?


Oh, and the last two pictures are when Asher got into my make-up.
He's pretty cute, isn't he?
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Kate said...

My boys both had a hard time with pooping on the toilet. They would hold it in until night time, and then go in their pull-up. Just give it some time. He'll get over his fear. My sister finally had to resort to laxatives (the suppository kind) for her kids, and they hated them so much that they started pooping on the toilet. I wouldn't go back to diapers. He's come so far!!!

EmilyCC said...

Oh, Asher, potty-training at two? So impressive! We tried our Asher at 2 1/2, and after 2 weeks, gave up because of the pooping problem. Actually, I don't think he was constipated; he'd just hold it until he saw that he could get a Thomas the Train.

Hopefully, the prune juice works. It'd be a bummer to loose that week of potty training...

Erin Ann said...

Hey Jessica!

This is Reid Lowther. Just found your blog through blog hopping...
Your family looks great!

http://reidanderinlowther.blogspot.com/
-Reid

Jessica Steed said...

Kate,
Yes, thanks for the advice. It's strange because his avoidance is sub-conscious, he'll sit and 'try' but nothing happens until he has a diaper on.
But, I REALLY want to be done changing his diapers. I mean, I already have another one in diapers!
EmilyCC,
Rewards aren't the biggest thing for my Asher. He can have potty candy, but he hardly ever remembers. As long as he's naked, he'll just pee by himself, no big deal. But, it's the next step I'm worried about.
It's good to know that this is pretty common. We'll get there, I'm sure!
Reid,
Hey there, old friend! I just saw our blog. Pretty awesome. Glad you found us!