Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Integrated Kindergarten


This year, Jaxon is in a full-day Integrated Kindergarten at our local public school.
While I have toyed with homeschooling for the last few years, I gave myself a challenge to homeschool him this summer, and if it was going well, to continue in the fall.

I never even began.

What I didn't realize when I first started my dreams of homeschooling, was that Jaxon and I have some personality conflicts (ei: I don't know how best to parent him) and that taking care of two other children would be a full-time job. Oh, and that I would develop an unhealthy blogging habit. But, that's for another post.

So, when August came around, I called up the Montessori where Jaxon did half-day kindergarten last year. (We think of it as pre-school since his class had children ages 3-6). We were still on the waiting list, and I wasn't even sure that it was the best place for him. Although I LOVE the Monetssori method and materials, there was so much distraction to our borderline ADHD child that I wanted to try something new.

This is how I met Mrs. Michael Fern, principal at Jaxon's school. I sat down with her and explained Jaxon's struggles with impulse control, socializing, and authority. She seemed to understand and recommended that we enroll Jaxon in the I-K program with a relatively new teacher, Mr. West. (He's 1 year YOUNGER than me! Aack!) Intergrated kindergarten combines up to five children with special needs, ranging from mild, like a speech delay, to moderate, like Downs Syndrome or Aspergers, with 10 "average" students. The class has fifteen students with 2 aides and one teacher. So, the student-teacher ration is 5:1, pretty sweet for a public school. Well, any school, really :)

Last week was my first time volunteering in Jaxon's class, although Mr. West and I have met a few times and spoken by phone about occassional incidents like the one involving Jaxon, scissors, and Tessie's hair. It was wonderful to see Jaxon in this class. He was so excited to have me there, he had very good behavior, and I really enjoyed watching Mr. West work with the children.
When I got there, I was carrying 2 heavy sacks filled with glass baby food jars. He offered to take them from me, and then later, I noticed that he had handed them off to two children in his class. I briefly rolled my eyes at his "chivalry."

When we got in the class, Mr. West began the morning routine. They sing a days of the week song (two, actually) then go through attendance, lunch count, rules overview, and planning the day. Then he read to them, pointing out the author, illustrator, title page, cover, and spine. He was very specific and very patient.

After the morning ritual, they went to their desks to draw and write a memory of their own "Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" (like Alexander's). He went around and helped them write the sounds that they knew, then wrote the phrase underneath their attempts. Jaxon's memory was of losing his broomstick (?!).

The class has 4 tables, with 4 chairs at each. The children put their feet on phone books, because many of them can't reach the floor (even in the tiny chairs!).

After working on letters, they went to the wall and did some exercises, pushing on the wall, stretching, more pushing. The were using their muscles and taking a break from the mind exercises.

When they went out to recess I talked to Mr. West about the exercies, remembering what I had learned about children with sensory disorders, that some need to push and lift heavy items to feel more comfortable.

He said he had learned about helping children exercise more and carry heavy items from an occupational therapist, and tries to have the children do it every day. That was why, he explained, he had handed the children the heavy bags of jars, so they could do their lifting exercise for the day.

Wow. I felt a little sheepish, thinking that he was passing off his duty, but I was really impressed that from the very start of the day, he was thinking of ways to help his students.

I'm really grateful for Mr. West and his aides, Mr. Josh, and Ms. Heidi. They're a great crew and they seem to be able to help Jaxon learn and work with other children in a way that he wasn't able to acheive last year.

I am looking forward to volunteering more in the future!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

It sounds like you made the best decision for Jaxon. His teacher sounds really great. My first impression of Max's kindergarten teacher wasn't the best, but she is actually really wonderful. Max seems to really like her. I was worried about him being brushed aside because he can be a handful sometimes. She seems to be patient with all of the kids. I hope the rest of Jaxon's year goes just as well as the start!

Jessica Steed said...

Thanks, Stephanie!
My first impression was just how young he is. And also, I wondered why a man would be interested in 5 year olds. But, he explained that he had been a junior in HS and had done a service project with an I-K class and really loved it. He decide then that's what he wanted to do for his career.
Pretty cool, I think.
I totally understand about having a child who's a handful. It's a little easier doing it again, I know lots of kids in all day K who are really homesick. We're lucky that Jaxon loves his class.
Thanks for the note, Steph!

EmilyCC said...

Yay for good teachers! There aren't enough of them and Mr. West sounds like a winner.

Brittany said...

Will he be in this class for the primary grades? or he is in kindergarten?