Thursday, September 25, 2008

I Should Really Give Up


As much as I love cooking (as evidenced by my being part of a cooking blog, see my profile), I really should just give it up.
I've got a yummy box of Utah peaches, and they are the perfect ripeness for a fresh peach pie. Thus, I consulted the internet to find the "perfect pie crust" and then . . .
I failed.
The instructions were uber-precise. "Cut butter into 3/4 inch squares. Freeze 2/3s of the butter for 20 min. Freeze the flour mixture for 30 minutes, etc."
But, I got so into cutting the butter into squares, preparing it for the food processesor, that I forgot how much I had used.
Oops.
So, when I blended the butter and flour, yeah, too buttery. More like chocolate chip cookie dough, less like pie crust.
Then I had add more flour, but just guessed. So, my 1.5 recipe may be doubled by now. I have no way of knowing. I'm sure it will turn out fine, it usually does.
The key to a good peach pie is obviously the peaches, and they are DELICIOUS!

But, this is not unusual for me. Now that it is beginning to cool off here (if cool is 105 at 2 PM), I will turn my oven on again. I love fall baking.

Perhaps that's it. Perhaps I'm out of practice! I just need to bake a little more and I'll get the hang of it.

But, when I can't manage something as easy as pie (HA!) while my kids are napping or at school, what hope do I have of more complicated stuff later on?

We'll see. Just don't ask me to make you a pie. Unless you don't mind the premade crusts. :)

4 comments:

Alisa said...

I'm sure it worked out really well. You are an amazing cook. Man, you make me miss living with you so I can eat your food.

Kevin and I (together) made a fresh peach pie last week, and it really turned out to my surprise. I was in charge of using Kevin's family recipe for the crust. I was really paranoid about it, but I guess I did something right.

Jessica Steed said...

I really shouldn't have overreacted.
I wrote the post when I only had finished the dough.
Now I've baked the crusts, and am still waiting to fill them.
Which, I may not get to do if Asher keeps eating peaches at the rate of 1 per hour. :)
Will keep everyone updated on the status of my peach pies.
Because, I know you are dying to know how they turn out!

Jessica Steed said...

Alisa,
Thanks for the compliment on my cooking.
I don't remember doing anything fancy when we were roommates. But, I'm flattered that you think I did.
:)
I have no doubt that your pies would turn out well. You are a good reader (not me, i read too fast and skip important instructions: exactly how much butter?) and you really like pie.
Two excellent reasons to produce a good pie.

Alisa said...

I'm posting on my pie too!