Thursday, September 11, 2008

Jaxon and the Beanstalk

A few summers ago, I saw a bean table at a children's play center. So, I made one of my own at home for little 3 year old Jaxon. It wasn't much, just a bin with dried pinto beans and different utensils to play with, a sieve, tongs, measuring cups, spoons, etc.
Jaxon loved that bean table. He would play with it during the cool winter, and when March came around, and we had a yardwork project, I got rid of the bean table, but didn't think much of the beans that were scattered around the yard.
Until, they started to sprout up through the freshly laid sod.
Of course I tried to pull them out, but they kept sprouting everywhere.
And, what do you know, the vines I bought (at $20 a pop) for the fancy lattices kept dying.
So, perhaps it was serendipity, perhaps it was madness, but one day I decided to let a bean sprout keep growing, near a lattice where one of my pricey vines had just died.
And grow it did. Bigger and fuller, and greener than any of my other plants.
It even has beautiful blue blossoms in the summer. And, while it goes into hibernation in the winter, it comes back year after year (even when Mark weed whacks it!)
So, here is my ode to our lovely bean sprout vine.
It surely was a magic bean that Jaxon accidentally planted 3 years ago.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Four Winns said...

That vine is fantastic!! Maybe I should grow a bean vine at my house. Perhaps it could cover up my failed attempts at tomatoes . . .